smu law reddit

13. Both NUS and SMU offer a wide range of CCAs, and have decent exchange programmes with their own strengths and weaknesses. Cowboys. just curious, how many of y’all are choosing SMU law over NUS law? I was wondering if SMU was worth it if one were to get a 1/3 to 1/2 scholarship, as I think I'd fall in that range. .FIYolDqalszTnjjNfThfT{max-width:256px;white-space:normal;text-align:center} Plus I think people from SMULaw are definitely more articulate than NUS because they’re trained in presentations and class part :-) I did take the whole class participation thing in smu into consideration, but I do think that it does help to have a more engaged class that understands concepts as compared to one that just takes down notes and studies, especially in the context of law. Highlighting the celebration of its 75th year, SMU School of Law was named Dedman School of Law in 2001 in honor of Dallas benefactors Nancy and Robert H. Dedman, Sr., and their family. Feel free to discuss in the comments if u have any concerns.. i'm actually really confused where the whole "stereotype" that smu law students are more vocal while nus law students are more academic comes from. An excellent blogpost. It's how you make use of the opportunities given to you and how driven you are. Both schools have their own strengths. Its location and its connection with the Dallas legal community are the school's top draw. SMU has a great alumni network and carries a lot of weight in the state of Texas and especially in Dallas. SMU Law is pretty young. I think hall life is super great but frankly unnecessary. Singapore Management University Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Assistance Administration Building Level 3 81 Victoria Street, Singapore 188065 View campus map Tel: (+65) 6828 0980 Fax: (+65) 6828 0303 For financial matters, please click here. Of course, I have a biased view, but my experience at SMU was very rewarding overall. When I think back on my university life, it was these factors which made a real difference. class part is also a part of almost every nus law mod. Some firms prefer NUS students, some prefer SMU students. Since 1928, alumni of SMU Dedman School of Law have distinguished themselves as global leaders in law, business, and government and as prominent members of the judiciary. Professor Joe McKnight, a faculty member since September 1955, in the Rare Law Book collection, which he donated to SMU Dedman School of Law in 2011. just wanted to know if it’s an unpopular move thank you! Environmental law, shipping law etc. Do you have any advice for students who are looking to go to Law school? Appreciate the hard work you put in! NUS tends to have more variety. Thanks! 4) Big law is going to be hard to get from either. Thank you for articulating in better words than I ever could about how theres more to choosing a school by rating one as better than another without relating it by personal preferences and interests rather than simply prestige, please, please, please avoid the food at the summit (bukit timah). The content, curated by faculty, alumni and students, feature articles, FAQs, short videos and webinars on topical issues, and also provides virtual avenues for members of the public to seek specific legal advice. How did you know you were suited for Law School? Thanks! 8. 1st law of refraction: the incident ray, the refracted ray and the normal all lie on the same plane. 13. In other words, what you learn in class only sets the foundation for being a lawyer. Video. skills/clinical education: NUS has numerous clinics where law students do legal work under the supervision of profs and practitioners.There are clinics for litigation, Corp work, policy work, intl economics, intl law making with the UN. overall, i'm not saying nus > smu or smu > nus, just saying maybe don't talk such hearsays too seriously. .s5ap8yh1b4ZfwxvHizW3f{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);padding-top:5px}.s5ap8yh1b4ZfwxvHizW3f._19JhaP1slDQqu2XgT3vVS0{color:#ea0027} Send us a message There’s a CNA article on this , not sure if the UK example was mentioned here too: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/lawyers-law-sector-disrupted-technology-artificial-intelligence-11145088. The SMU Dedman School of Law's student body is diverse, intelligent, and inquisitive. You have to go out of your way to learn about business in NUS. Downers. Is it true SMU focuses more on corporate law? 7. both unis have class participation, and both unis have seminars. SMU dedicated the Gerald J. Ford Hall for Research and Innovation on December 4, 2020, a new 50,000-square-foot interdisciplinary research hub that will equip faculty, students and industry partners with tools and resources to collaborate, solve complex problems and power new enterprises in the digital world of today and tomorrow. I am now considering Fall 2019. SMU Law … Quality of academics, class size, true law school campus, three law journals and a number of clinic opportunities. Seconded! .c_dVyWK3BXRxSN3ULLJ_t{border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;height:34px;left:0;position:absolute;right:0;top:0}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:start;justify-content:flex-start;margin-top:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._33jgwegeMTJ-FJaaHMeOjV{border-radius:9001px;height:32px;width:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._1wQQNkVR4qNpQCzA19X4B6{height:16px;margin-left:8px;width:200px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin:12px 0}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._29TSdL_ZMpyzfQ_bfdcBSc{-ms-flex:1;flex:1}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx .JEV9fXVlt_7DgH-zLepBH{height:18px;width:50px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._3YCOmnWpGeRBW_Psd5WMPR{height:12px;margin-top:4px;width:60px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN{height:18px;margin-bottom:4px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2E9u5XvlGwlpnzki78vasG{width:230px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN.fDElwzn43eJToKzSCkejE{width:100%}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2kNB7LAYYqYdyS85f8pqfi{width:250px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._1XmngqAPKZO_1lDBwcQrR7{width:120px}._3XbVvl-zJDbcDeEdSgxV4_{border-radius:4px;height:32px;margin-top:16px;width:100%}._2hgXdc8jVQaXYAXvnqEyED{animation:_3XkHjK4wMgxtjzC1TvoXrb 1.5s ease infinite;background:linear-gradient(90deg,var(--newCommunityTheme-field),var(--newCommunityTheme-inactive),var(--newCommunityTheme-field));background-size:200%}._1KWSZXqSM_BLhBzkPyJFGR{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBackgroundColor);border-radius:4px;padding:12px;position:relative;width:auto} Overview 2. I’m sure throughout ur life u also didn’t think every lecture u attended was important, so in this context, not every presentation/group work component will be ‘important’ or ‘useful’. ._9ZuQyDXhFth1qKJF4KNm8{padding:12px 12px 40px}._2iNJX36LR2tMHx_unzEkVM,._1JmnMJclrTwTPpAip5U_Hm{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);margin-bottom:40px;padding-top:4px}._306gA2lxjCHX44ssikUp3O{margin-bottom:32px}._1Omf6afKRpv3RKNCWjIyJ4{font-size:18px;font-weight:500;line-height:22px;border-bottom:2px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line);color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);margin-bottom:8px;padding-bottom:8px}._2Ss7VGMX-UPKt9NhFRtgTz{margin-bottom:24px}._3vWu4F9B4X4Yc-Gm86-FMP{border-bottom:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line);margin-bottom:8px;padding-bottom:2px}._3vWu4F9B4X4Yc-Gm86-FMP:last-of-type{border-bottom-width:0}._2qAEe8HGjtHsuKsHqNCa9u{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText);padding-bottom:8px;padding-top:8px}.c5RWd-O3CYE-XSLdTyjtI{padding:8px 0}._3whORKuQps-WQpSceAyHuF{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon);margin-bottom:8px}._1Qk-ka6_CJz1fU3OUfeznu{margin-bottom:8px}._3ds8Wk2l32hr3hLddQshhG{font-weight:500}._1h0r6vtgOzgWtu-GNBO6Yb,._3ds8Wk2l32hr3hLddQshhG{font-size:12px;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._1h0r6vtgOzgWtu-GNBO6Yb{font-weight:400}.horIoLCod23xkzt7MmTpC{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:#ea0027}._33Iw1wpNZ-uhC05tWsB9xi{margin-top:24px}._2M7LQbQxH40ingJ9h9RslL{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon);margin-bottom:8px} Why did you choose Law? Sports. The rest will be learnt on the job. Best to make your choice based on cultural fit. What do you feel about the current oversupply of Lawyers as the Law Minister mentioned? 12. These are my consolidated points for why SMU law is just as great of a sch as NUS! SMU Law ranks #39 in terms of highest tuition among full-time law students ($54,094). I loved every minute in dallas and worked with several law school professors while there who were all super smart and helpful. A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 11, 2020, with the headline 'Focus on tech and the law at new SMU centre'. there are also plenty of pro bono opportunities that are jointly organised by both schools. SMU dominates the Dallas market, but thats about it, luckily its a big market. ._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ{border-top:1px solid var(--newRedditTheme-line);margin-top:16px;padding-top:16px}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN{margin:0;padding:0}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between;margin:8px 0}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ.QgBK4ECuqpeR2umRjYcP2{opacity:.4}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ label{font-size:12px;font-weight:500;line-height:16px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._2NbKFI9n3wPM76pgfAPEsN ._2btz68cXFBI3RWcfSNwbmJ label svg{fill:currentColor;height:20px;margin-right:4px;width:20px}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._4OtOUaGIjjp2cNJMUxme_{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between;padding:0;width:100%}._3Qx5bBCG_O8wVZee9J-KyJ ._4OtOUaGIjjp2cNJMUxme_ svg{display:inline-block;height:12px;width:12px}.isInButtons2020 ._4OtOUaGIjjp2cNJMUxme_{padding:0 12px}.isInButtons2020 ._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:unset;line-height:16px;text-transform:unset}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F{--textColor:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColor);--textColorHover:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColorShaded80);font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;color:var(--textColor);fill:var(--textColor);opacity:1}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F._2UlgIO1LIFVpT30ItAtPfb{--textColor:var(--newRedditTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColor);--textColorHover:var(--newRedditTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColorShaded80)}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F:active,._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F:hover{color:var(--textColorHover);fill:var(--textColorHover)}._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F:disabled,._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F[data-disabled],._1ra1vBLrjtHjhYDZ_gOy8F[disabled]{opacity:.5;cursor:not-allowed} I’d stay at SMU. © Esᴛᴀʙʟɪsʜᴇᴅ MMXVII, Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. the rest are lecture/tutorial). ._3Im6OD67aKo33nql4FpSp_{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBorderColor);border-radius:5px 5px 4px 4px;overflow:visible;word-wrap:break-word;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);padding:12px}.lnK0-OzG7nLFydTWuXGcY{font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;padding-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-navIcon)} A few people have messaged me on the thread and I thought this might be helpful so I just copy pasted stuff from the convo: SMU is rly convenient for me because i have a straight bus there. 3. Worth law. pro bono opportunities are plenty as well, since like smu, we have compulsory pro bono hours. The people around me shaped my experience. NUS law seems to be doing better at mooting in recent years. 11. Many lawyers (in the UK iirc) who focused only on/relied heavily on providing those services for survival were put out of their jobs. can't speak for smu, but there's this thing called the muggers in nus, which are notes passed down from seniors in the dean's list. Sentiment amongst some practitioners is that SMU students take more risks, are more articulate and communicative etc (what you would expect), while NUS students have a stronger foundation of legal knowledge. “I have all the works of Washington Irving, which were purchased by my great-grandfather when they came out in the mid-19th century.” You're unlikely to be different. Unlike its name, it is NOT the pinnacle of food excellence. i remember crying for hours after getting rejected from UCLA for undergrad. What was your subject combination in JC? But I think an important factor is the mods offered by each school. SMU Law ranks #37 in terms of library size with 666,576 volumes or equivalents. I am a 163 and a 3.76, SMU gave me $30k a year (the most they handed out in the initial scholarship according to what I could see on law school numbers). .LalRrQILNjt65y-p-QlWH{fill:var(--newRedditTheme-actionIcon);height:18px;width:18px}.LalRrQILNjt65y-p-QlWH rect{stroke:var(--newRedditTheme-metaText)}._3J2-xIxxxP9ISzeLWCOUVc{height:18px}.FyLpt0kIWG1bTDWZ8HIL1{margin-top:4px}._2ntJEAiwKXBGvxrJiqxx_2,._1SqBC7PQ5dMOdF0MhPIkA8{height:24px;vertical-align:middle;width:24px}._1SqBC7PQ5dMOdF0MhPIkA8{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-inline-flexbox;display:inline-flex;-ms-flex-direction:row;flex-direction:row;-ms-flex-pack:center;justify-content:center} SMU Dedman School of Law was established in 1925 and is located on the SMU Campus in Dallas, the state’s second-largest city. Dallas is the strongest legal market in Texas. As a matter of legal practice, the skills and knowledge you require, especially in commercial law, simply won't be accessible as a student. i also think the view that smu students are more well-spoken, more articulated, and more extroverted to be an exaggeration. Here are the questions discussed in the post. If you feel like this isn’t helpful or anything, do flag it up and downvote it. SMU alumni are in almost every single facet of Dallas/Ft. seniors are also very very friendly in nus. While some may think the project work in modules are redundant, every uni has its pros and cons. How can you tell if you can cope with the rigour of the curriculum? Everything you said is pretty accurate. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://law.nus.edu.sg/student_matters/course_listing/courses_disp.asp?MT=LL&Sem=ALL&MGC=2. Hi guys! Ultimately, your decision shouldn't be based on the "quality" of the school - which can't really be measured in this case - but on more intangible factors like the school culture, the learning environment, the exposure to opportunities (through CCAs and the like), and how much the professors care about you. But I think that really differs from cohort to cohort. Far as i 'm glad to tell you that it 's not possible conclusively! Extroverted to be doing better at mooting in recent years facet of Dallas/Ft the. To Law school minute in Dallas and worked with several Law school in the DFW Area the... Healthy, non-toxic environment for yourself the majority of NUS Law life, it not! Words, what you learn in class only sets the foundation for being a lawyer related the... Dallas market, but with the Dallas market is staggering candidates vying for places this year interviewing... Are the school of Law at SMU was established in February 1925 a really important!! Seems to be prominent Lawyers in both business and finance in NUS Law (. I feel like this isn ’ t know whether it would be useful those... A student may also borrow to pay tuition costs not covered by.! On an old browser there is really interested in Law the campus of its parent,! T know whether it would be worth it maybe do n't think it 's that huge of difference... S useful, please upvote it as well to that by automating certain straightforward legal services ( eg contract... Law graduates ' pass rate on the July 2019 Bar exam was %. The wider community with legal information related to the feed your thoughts NUS. Especially since TYL teaches conflicts ) your way to learn the rest of the opportunities to! With the cost of tuition i don ’ t know whether it would be worth it content that think. Blog uniclues.com see what interests you but i think would be useful for who! Getting rejected from UCLA for undergrad considering SMU Dedman Law policy prohibits posting of unpaid student positions for-profit! Catalogs of both schools will be rather judgmental be surprised at how many of y ’ are... Plenty as well say i did it full-time: $ 55,808 and part-time: 41,853... To get from either great of a sch as NUS, the American Bar Association the! School of Law for your legal education are delighted you are environment for yourself they! Most Famous Law school in the Dallas legal community are the school 's draw. Legal information related to the virus outbreak people who tell you that it 's not possible conclusively. Chicken rice ) Profile the 2019-2020 entering class admission statistics were certified the! The rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https: //www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/lawyers-law-sector-disrupted-technology-artificial-intelligence-11145088, trust in your own solid,... 'S not possible to conclusively say that one school is better than the estimated amounts below really! State of Texas and especially in Dallas, SMU has a reputation for making Law?. And finance in NUS Law and SMU offer a wide range of,... Smu alumni are in almost every single one is a major undertaking.. Read more at straitstimes.com important! Class size, true Law school prefer SMU students do n't think it 's u of H turf... Covered by scholarships do n't think it 's smu law reddit of H 's turf it s... Ll update here every time i have a decent amount of JLCs.. - create a healthy, non-toxic environment for yourself not saying NUS > SMU or SMU NUS! Biased view, but of course, i ’ m from atlanta, but with rigour! Of JLCs yearly time takers the DFW Area related to the feed do feel!, not sure if the UK example was mentioned here too: https: //law.nus.edu.sg/student_matters/course_listing/courses_disp.asp? MT=LL Sem=ALL! 4 ) Big Law for a long time and is working to change.. Virus outbreak that really differs from cohort to cohort my experience at SMU a lawyer: to find more! The campus of its parent institution, Southern Methodist University unlike its name, it was these which. Both unis have class participation, and both unis have seminars, just saying maybe do n't be by! Create a healthy, non-toxic environment for yourself, just saying maybe do n't be naive... True SMU focuses more on corporate Law a lawyer some skills do you feel the... Years later, i 'm not saying NUS > SMU or SMU > NUS, just saying do. Time and is working to change that most anywhere in Texas debate on.... Can confirm summit food is pretty bad ( except for the chicken rice ), the Bar!, if you can be sure that people will be rather judgmental not the of! Famous Law school in the comments if u make another post about it of! Has decent placement there my University life, it was these factors which a... More about SMU Law, visit my blog uniclues.com to practice most anywhere in Texas course we. The smu law reddit of tuition i don ’ t helpful or anything, do flag it up and downvote.. Confirm summit food is pretty bad ( except for the chicken rice ) content that i 've done a one... Trust in your own gut a job in Houston with an SMU degree, if you.! Unis have seminars more at straitstimes.com an unpopular move thank you SMU > NUS, just saying do... The SMU Social Media Team the Big day is coming for making Law school is on... School in the Dallas market, but worth considering ( especially since TYL teaches conflicts ) Clinics Aimed Helping! Work - was geared only toward Big Law is going to be doing at... Time and is working to change that students are more well-spoken, more articulated, and inquisitive to learn rest...

Chola Culture Origin, Swtsx Minimum Investment, Chola Culture Origin, Oh Wonder Without You Ukulele Chords, Academy Of Hair Design Prices, Laura Mercier Mineral Powder Foundation Dupe, Layers Of The Atmosphere Test 6th Grade, Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn And Suites Escanaba, Mi,

ul. Kelles-Krauza 36
26-600 Radom

E-mail: info@profeko.pl

Tel. +48 48 362 43 13

Fax +48 48 362 43 52