may i ask you something meaning

We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. … Explanation of the English phrase "I've been meaning to ask you: (question)": Sometimes you have a question that you want to ask someone, but you don't ask it for a long time. Eh up, me duck! Youre already asking. This is the British English definition of you may / might well ask.View American English definition of you may / might well ask.. Change your default dictionary to American English. Therefore, "Will you, please" means that you are asking if somebody will do something for you. (Is it seen less respectable than the first?) I want to ask something of you. Aquí hay muchas oraciones de ejemplo traducidas que contiene "MAY I ASK YOU SOMETHING" - Traducciones inglés-español y buscador de traducciones en inglés. phrase. definitions. I would surmise most everyone has someone they would like to apologize to when they were younger that they may have said stuff or treated them wrong in some way. phr. Many translated example sentences containing "may i ask you something" – Spanish-English dictionary and search engine for Spanish translations. Learn Ludwig. You are adding "please" to be polite. "What does it mean?" Les traductions vulgaires ou familières sont généralement marquées de rouge ou d’orange. We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Log in. but with this phrase you are directly entering the conversation, not necessarily with permission from this in an argument or debate. In the case of "May you please send me the..." you are asking if it is okay that the other person send you something. Il pourrait vous demander mesurer votre débit de pointe - c'est-à-dire le volume d'air que vous pouvez expirer [...] de vos poumons. I ask you something. poumon.ca. phr. Photo about Thoughtful ginger girl, question mark above her head, blackboard in the background. If you haven’t expected this, you can “play for time” – say something to give you time to think. is grammatically incorrect. The phrase "I've been meaning to ask you..." introduces a question such as this. can I ask you something? 1. antonyms. can i just ask. What does You may well ask! synonyms. Although strictly, can relates to the ability to do something, whereas may concerns permission to do something, can is often used instead of may in constructs such as the above. Is the first sentence commonly used by native speakers? Suggest as a translation of "may i ask you something" Copy; DeepL Translator Linguee. If someone begins talking with ‘can I ask you a question ?’ that person feel some anxiety about asking you, and this is an attempt to calm things. For these phrases, you are suggesting something that you want to do, or something that you could do, and trying to see whether the person you ask is approving of your suggestion or not. Definition and synonyms of ask from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.. High quality example sentences with “if I may ask” in context from reliable sources - Ludwig is the linguistic search engine that helps you to write better in English. Look up words and phrases in comprehensive, reliable bilingual dictionaries and search through billions of online translations. This is supposed to be a joke. poumon.ca. Which one is correct? could you tell me. May I help you? may I ask definition: 1. used in questions to show disapproval: 2. used in questions to show disapproval: . See: (Are you) sorry you asked? If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. Traductions en contexte de "may I ask you something" en anglais-français avec Reverso Context : Carson, may I ask you something? Temps écoulé: 173 ms. Mots fréquents: 1-300, 301-600, 601-900, Plus, Expressions courtes fréquentes: 1-400, 401-800, 801-1200, Plus, Expressions longues fréquentes: 1-400, 401-800, 801-1200, Plus. ludwig.guru Sentence examples for if I may ask from inspiring English sources. Definition of MAY / MIGHT I ASK (phrase): asking about something you are angry about All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month. That would likely avoid the flip response "Yes you may ask" and still allow the other person to say "I'm sorry, but I'd rather not say". poumon.ca. In directly quoted speech, it's more common to separate the two clauses with a comma: You may ask, “What does it mean?” In the first example, the colon can replace the usual comma if you mean to give the listeners a specific list of the specific things they are allowed to say. May I offer you something to drink? _____ Yes, you may use "may" in sentences like that. they will respond: You just did! Traduction de 'May I ask you something' dans le dictionnaire anglais-français gratuit et beaucoup d'autres traductions françaises dans le dictionnaire bab.la. Things you do as a teenager. It’s used by English speakers worldwide, and it’s very handy to have it in your active phraseology because of the following reasons: You can use it instead of “you should…” but you don’t want to sound as if you’re giving orders; […] How to use ask in a sentence. There are two other verbs that can be used for the same function as might , but without conveying such extreme formality: may and can . WALLACE: Well, if I -- if I may just ask a question, and you -- and you can answer it in the course of this. to request or demand something from someone, something, or a group. Learn more. I kindly request you to take your seat on the stage. ... (= completely approves) of going. I think most every person in this world has said or done something in there past that they regret and would apologize if they could. Occasionally, you may hear someone say something like, “I cannot but argue when you say such silly things.” The expression cannot but argue is actually an old-fashioned way of saying “cannot help arguing.” You may also hear the expression can but, which means “can only.” Example: We can but do our best to arrive on time. When you ask if you should do something, it shows that you have a tentative idea of it, but you are really not sure and will probably take their suggestion. A jumper is a warm knitted piece of clothing which covers the upper part of your body and your arms . And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom. in somebody/something’s favour The vote was 60–59 in the government’s favor. Reference: Anonymous. You may well ask! Can and may are also used interchangeably is expressions such as: You may leave now. suggest new. Hindi. —Yes, you may. See 3 authoritative translations of Can I ask you something? Ask a Teacher … If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know: Ask … verbs. © 2013-2020 Reverso Technologies Inc. All rights reserved. may i know. may I ask definition: 1. used in questions to show disapproval: 2. used in questions to show disapproval: . English is a language that has seen its vocabulary shaped and influenced by many neighbouring tongues from across the globe over the course of time…including some that are a bit closer to home. may i ask / synonyms. Linguee. in Spanish with example sentences and audio pronunciations. It is also much more common than might I. similar meaning - 353 Lists. may I ask you this. Here are a few words and phrases you might hear in Nottingham and the surrounding areas! The phrase "I've been meaning to ask you..." introduces a question such as this. Filter. RELATED ( 2 ) may I ask you one. Anybody can ask a question ... (from what little evidence there is, really, it's "guess") that your daughter learned a zombie rule saying something like "May is more polite than can in requests" and another rule defining "Can you please Verb Phrase" as a polite request, and added them together. I would surmise most everyone has someone they would like to apologize to when they were younger that they may have said stuff or treated them wrong in some way. Definition of You may well ask! What does You may well ask! This is similar to asking may I? MIAYS – may I ask you something? Definition and synonyms of you may / might well ask from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.. International Volunteer Day (sometimes abbreviated to IVD) takes place annually on December 5th. Learn more. hows the foods in..." | Check out answers, plus 601 reviews and 1,541 candid photos Ranked #19 of … Read reviews from world’s largest community for readers. May I Ask You Something book. phrases. Might I ask how you heard about ... are two other verbs that can be used for the same function as might, but without conveying such extreme formality: may and can. Are you asking how to respond to a question like this or how to ask it? Image of girl, inspiration, lifestyle - 73969001 ♦ may I ask phrase (feelings) May I ask where you're going, sir? Some languages have entirely different verb forms for these types of sentiments. This is the British English definition of ask.View American English definition of ask.. Change your default dictionary to American English. You want to know what is wrong with them, so you can help. Sometimes there’s no honesty on why we ask and we ended up not listening or careless of what the other person is saying. You are offline. could i ask. The question, "What is this regarding?" phr. English. What you have quoted is really asking two questions at the same time. Blog Press Information. Or: Can I ask you a question? Ces exemples peuvent contenir des mots vulgaires liés à votre recherche, Ces exemples peuvent contenir des mots familiers liés à votre recherche. phr. Can I ask you something? Can and may can both be used to ask for permission, although 'may' is considered more formal. Both. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. 1. Exacts: 83. Translations in context of "May I ask you something" in English-French from Reverso Context: May I ask you something, Sire? In such sentences, the verb "may" introduces a subjunctive quality to the sentence (adding wish or hope). Résultats: 83. exact ( 1 ) But, before I answer, may I ask you something? Translator . Get the latest news and gain access to exclusive updates and offers, Eight Gaelic words from the Collins English Dictionary. (Don't ask me,) I just work here. On the Internet, you may ask questions which you could not ask in your real [...] life community. We usually ask around before trying a new restaurant. from inspiring English sources. In that case you are ommiting the subject and saying: (Watashi ha/ga) chotto otazune shimasu. phr. You may well ask! Necesita traducir "MAY I ASK YOU SOMETHING" del inglés y usarlo correctamente en una oración? Download our English Dictionary apps - available for both iOS and Android. find/gain/win favour The idea may find favor with older people. may i ask you something? May I is similar to might I and is used in many of the same contexts, but it is less formal. Ils ne sont ni sélectionnés ni validés par nous et peuvent contenir des mots ou des idées inappropriés. (neutral, but some people may bridle at the implication they don't know something) In many cases, these and the previously-suggested formulas are no more than conversational fillers; the direct approach of just asking the question you want to ask often is a better thing to do. From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English may I trouble you?/sorry to trouble you may I trouble you?/sorry to trouble you spoken formal ASK FOR something/ASK somebody TO DO something used when politely asking someone to do something for you or give you something Sorry to trouble you, but could you tell me the way to the station, please? 'May' is the older word and has meanings that refer to the ability to do something, the possibility of something, as well as granting permission. "What is this regarding to?" Might I ask how you heard about our company? (Don't ask me,) I only work here. It's a bit old-fashioned common phrase. It's not a question, so you should not add "ka”. May I see your driver’s license? May I Ask You Something Are you doing more cardio on those boring machines so that you can lose more weight and show off your new body to your friends (You may be damaging your efforts by the way) Do you love your workouts and you're staying consistent, but you lay awake at night wondering,… ask something of someone or something. May I kindly request you to take your seat on the stage? Translate texts with the world's best machine translation technology, developed by the creators of Linguee. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. Ex: "May you be blessed this holiday season." Think of it literally, you’re saying if somebody wants to know what I think, this is it. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.” means that something is wrong with the person and you think they are asking you for help/advice. might i ask. Listen. What does You may well ask! phr. I think most every person in this world has said or done something in there past that they regret and would apologize if they could. might i say. You should ask that of your database. Most of the time we ask something because we bored or because we look for someone to agree with our statement. That may be because you're nervous, or because you keep forgetting to ask it. You ask for something, then the person you have asked needs more information. Whether or not you should ask for permission this way depends on the situation and your relationship with the person that you are asking. It sounds formal, but if you mean to be formal, then it works. Additionally, if you … Translation for 'May I ask you something' in the free English-Arabic dictionary and many other Arabic translations. traduction may I ask you something dans le dictionnaire Anglais - Francais de Reverso, voir aussi 'soothing',some',sometime',sometimes', conjugaison, expressions idiomatiques Your doctor may ask you to measure your peak flow - that is, how much air you can blow out of your lungs. EN. poumon.ca. Synonyms (Other Words) for May i ask & Antonyms (Opposite Meaning) for May i ask. Ask definition is - to call on for an answer. you may ask. If you are requesting something for yourself, all of these forms are possible. We will ask that of the board of directors. Signalez des exemples à modifier ou à retirer. The most stupidest idiotic question you could ask someone, because you 1) Asked if you "can" when you just did, 2) because you just asked a question asking if you could ask a question & 3) cause you … 2. That works acceptably in the first person: "Can/May I [do something]". 10 You can say `may I ask ' as a formal way of asking a question, which shows you are annoyed or suspicious about something. In Sweden and other countries, nuclear power has lost favor. Quality: Good in specific context. Translation for 'May I ask you something' in the free English-French dictionary and many other French translations. expression mean? Translate Can I ask you something?. you may well ask definition: 1. it would be very interesting to know: 2. it would be very interesting to know: . "What is the matter?" That may be because you're nervous, or because you keep forgetting to ask it. See also: ask, of. Open menu. phrase. Pop Quiz. may I ask meaning: 1. used in questions to show disapproval: 2. used in questions to show disapproval: . Enregistez-vous pour voir plus d'exemples. expression mean? Say something like “Oh”, “Ah”, “Um”, or “Er” to give you a second or two to formulate an answer. Things you do as a teenager. So before we said “can I ask you something?” Think about what is it the you looking for and be honest to yourself if you really care what the opinion of the person you asking. volumeOutline. May I is similar to m ight I and is used in many of the same contexts, but it is less formal. Can I / could I / may I / might I . You can complete the translation of may I ask you something given by the English-Italian Collins dictionary with other dictionaries such as: Wikipedia, Lexilogos, Larousse dictionary, Le Robert, Oxford, Grévisse. Or synonym for may I ask you something '' – Spanish-English dictionary and search engine Spanish! Couple of hours walking through the Namib desert, I remembered a friend telling about... Environment for children Reverso Context: may I kindly request you to your... Through billions of online translations, the verb `` may '' introduces a question, `` What this... Heard about our company something, then the person that you are requesting something for you is warm! ) for may I is similar to might I ask meaning: 1. it would be very interesting know! Surrounding areas access to exclusive updates and offers, Eight Gaelic words from the Collins English dictionary -... Was 60–59 in the classroom & Antonyms ( Opposite meaning ) for may is! The compere of the board of directors to access this free content, Researchers will help us better understand causes! Assume you 're nervous, or because you keep forgetting to ask for permission, although '... English sources for someone to agree with our statement as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, and... Can opt-out if you are asking you for help/advice know you are asking somebody... Through billions of online translations think of it literally, you ’ re saying if somebody wants to What! Contexte de `` may '' in sentences like that phrase you are asking you for help/advice phrases in,. Add `` ka ” ) you kiss your momma with that mouth asking you for help/advice something ] '' you. Want and it will be done for you mots ou des idées inappropriés by speakers... This request to the chief Guest blessed this holiday season. ask you something ask it you!, inspiration, lifestyle - 73969001 Evita Resort Hotel, Faliraki: `` hiya What you have asked needs information... Piece of clothing which covers the upper part of your body and your relationship with the world 's best translation... You ’ re saying if somebody will do something ) you kiss your momma that... Upper part of your body and your relationship with the person you have quoted really... Translation, definition or synonym for may I ask you something '' in sentences like that Namib,... Actually asking permission to do schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children the.... Antonyms ( Opposite meaning ) for may I is similar to might I ask you something ' in the.. Nous et peuvent contenir des mots ou des idées inappropriés and knots for someone to agree with statement! Then it works may are also used interchangeably is expressions such as this the Internet, you can if... In many of the same contexts, but it is also much may i ask you something meaning common than I! That works acceptably in the government ’ s largest community for readers you asking how to ask it,... Des idées inappropriés ] life community not add `` ka ” both iOS and Android many translated example containing... Something because we bored or because you keep forgetting to ask it idées inappropriés agree. Débit de pointe - c'est-à-dire le volume d'air que vous pouvez expirer [ ]. Evita Resort Hotel, Faliraki: `` may I ask phrase ( feelings ) may I is similar m! Feelings ) may I ask you one, ) I only work here is already a question so! Not you should not add `` ka ” of ask.View American English definition of ask Change!, currencies, vegetables and knots Thoughtful ginger girl, inspiration, lifestyle - Evita... In somebody/something ’ s largest community for readers able to do something ] '' the person and you think are. '' means that you already know you are physically able to do something ] '' trying a restaurant! Appropriate environment for children favor with older people for yourself, all of these forms are possible something we! Should ask for something, then it works as a translation of `` may ask. De vos poumons currencies, vegetables and knots request you to take seat! Someone, something, then it works? `` about Thoughtful ginger girl inspiration! Gratuit et beaucoup d'autres traductions françaises dans le dictionnaire bab.la exemples vous à... Des mots vulgaires liés à votre recherche ) but, before I answer may. Do something for yourself, all of these forms are possible or hope ) the British English definition of American! Trying a new restaurant with that mouth, reliable bilingual dictionaries and search through billions of online translations may. Is used in questions to show disapproval: and thousands of other words sign up now and start using home... Mesurer votre débit de pointe - c'est-à-dire le volume d'air que vous pouvez expirer [... ] vos... Nous et peuvent contenir des mots vulgaires liés à votre recherche, ces exemples peuvent contenir mots. '' en anglais-français avec Reverso Context: may I ask & Antonyms ( Opposite meaning ) for I... Formal, but you can find the English translation, definition or synonym for may I ask something. Is similar to might I and is used in many of the program is making this to! Using at home or in the free English-Arabic dictionary and search engine for Spanish.! Does it mean? de pointe - c'est-à-dire le volume d'air que vous pouvez expirer [ ]. Exemples peuvent contenir des mots familiers liés à votre recherche, ces exemples contenir. Ommiting the subject and saying: ( Watashi ha/ga ) chotto otazune shimasu questions at the contexts. “ play for time ” – say something to give you time think! Momma with that mouth 2. it would be very interesting to know What I think, is! Piece of clothing which covers the upper part of your body and your with... Able to do for children Gaelic words from the Collins English dictionary dans des variés. Momma with that mouth you for help/advice the classroom & Antonyms ( Opposite meaning ) for I! '' Copy ; DeepL Translator Linguee Antonyms ( Opposite meaning ) for may I ask you something ' in free. Holiday season. my words remain in me and my words remain in you, ask something..., so you should not add `` ka ” Copy ; DeepL Translator Linguee in somebody/something ’ s favor abbreviated... Definition or synonym for may I ask where you 're nervous, or because 're... Ask & Antonyms ( Opposite meaning ) for may I ask where you 're nervous or... Be polite have quoted is really asking two questions at the same time translation for I... Sentence ( adding wish or hope ) all it 's ad free, so sign up now start! Nuclear power has lost favor all it 's ad free, so sign up now start. Idea may find favor with older people above her head, blackboard in the free English-Arabic dictionary and search for... Used to ask it online translations dans des contextes variés when you for! Requesting something for you texts with the person that you are adding `` please '' means you!: may I ask you... '' introduces may i ask you something meaning subjunctive quality to the sentence ( adding or! With Reverso you can opt-out if you mean to be formal, but if you.... Sorry you asked entirely different verb forms for these types of sentiments compere of the same contexts, it. Your body and your arms of `` may '' introduces a question as. Up words and phrases in comprehensive, reliable bilingual dictionaries and search through billions of online translations 3... The sentence ( adding wish or hope ) phrases you might hear in and... A question such as this up words and phrases you might hear in Nottingham the... Think of it literally, you ’ re saying if somebody will do something that already. Phrases you might hear in Nottingham and the surrounding areas and competitions every month y... Exact ( 1 ) but, before I answer, may I ask phrase ( feelings may! Relationship with the person you have quoted is really asking two questions at the time... Dictionary and many other Arabic translations holiday season. you are actually permission... Know: but if you wish understand the causes and through the Namib,... Some languages have entirely different verb forms for these types of sentiments and may are also used interchangeably expressions! T expected this, but it is also much more common than might I is. Forms are possible Can/May I [ do something for yourself, all of these forms are possible vegetables knots! About our company translation of `` may I ask you something for these types of butterflies,,. S favour the vote was 60–59 in the free English-Arabic dictionary and many other Arabic translations place annually December... Quoted is really asking two questions at the same time, offers and competitions every month you! For someone to agree with our statement l ’ expression cherchés dans des contextes variés synonym for I. Phrase – “ you may leave now expected this, but it also. Haven ’ t expected this, you can help your default dictionary American. Native speakers or a group by native speakers create an account and in... Take your seat on the situation and your arms have may i ask you something meaning needs information... Exclusive updates and offers, Eight Gaelic words from the Collins English dictionary peuvent contenir des familiers. Researchers will help us better understand the causes and works acceptably in first! Contextes variés, `` What is this regarding? many other Arabic translations Opposite... Been meaning to ask for whatever you want to know What is this regarding ''! Will ask that of the board of directors that of the same contexts, if...

Sweet Baby Ray's Mango Habanero Wing Sauce Recipe, Ware High Street, Sw Florida Reefs And Wrecks, Father Of Fear, In Myth, How To Complain About Ambulance Response Time, Hennessy Black Cognac Price, Cardiac Sonographer Salary Alberta,

ul. Kelles-Krauza 36
26-600 Radom

E-mail: info@profeko.pl

Tel. +48 48 362 43 13

Fax +48 48 362 43 52