243 winchester vs 270

9 years ago * Its the 243 Winchester you want to go with. I've killed a 175lb hog with my AR with 60 grain Winchester ballistic silver tips. The .243 Winchester was developed by wildcatters who immediately grasped the accuracy potential of the .308 parent case and then necked down the case to accept .243 caliber (6mm) bullets. Post Cancel. The .243 can cover for the bigger as wella s the smaller in case you have rifle issues at some point. It ushered in a new era for American hunters, with a muzzle velocity in excess of 3000 fps, and a bullet big and heavy enough for big game. The 243 Win. The 6.8mmSPC is also effective, but has limited availability (i.e. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; that is one of the physical laws of our universe. Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > Mar 3, 2010 #1 . Anybody got advice on 223 vs 243 vs 270? P _____ Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse? This round is a modification of the .308 Winchester. 6.5 Creedmoor Table, 250-yard Zero 270 Winchester ... For a review of a 24-caliber alternative to the 6.5 Creedmoor, check out this overview of the venerable 243 Winchester, a deadly deer cartridge with even less recoil than the Creedmoor. Thanks for the input! Knowing their differences is important to all gun owners, especially those interested in hunting and competitive shooting. * Its also makes a Great Varmint … Although my dad and older brothers used it, I was the one most responsible for its substantial barrel wear. Lv 7. That’s a case capacity difference of 20.07% favoring the .25-06 Remington. is an outstanding caliber and for the gear head that I am the 243 WSSM is just as outstanding. The .243 was originally introduced in 1955, and gained traction because of its versatility. (left to right) .223 Rem, .243 Win, .308 Win . Consult your ballistics charts to look at energy at various distances with the bullet you’re shooting. The 243 WSSM has also been deadly on elk. It … Winchester rolled the .243 out as a commercial cartridge in 1955. The .243 Winchester cartridge, introduced in 1955, is very popular. The fact that the .243 is essentially a necked down .308 means that the bullets are smaller and less wide. Rounds of at least 90 grains are better suited for hunting the larger of those while rounds less than 90 grains are more suitable for varmints. By Chuck Hawks. I would recommend 100 grain + in weight if you want put a big hog down. DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010. The .243 Winchester cartridge will be effective and easier to find on gun store shelves. Currently, it ranks sixth among the best selling cartridges in the USA, just behind the .270 Winchester and ahead of the 7mm Remington Magnum. The .243 Winchester is simply the .308 Winchester necked down to hold .243″ diameter bullets. 243 win vs 270 win Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010. Ideally used on varmints, it has become a favorite for, hunting dog breeds such as coyote and prairie dogs, as well as hog hunting. The .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield are two of the most popular cartridges for hunters in the United States. Please note, the following information reflects the estimated average ballistics for each caliber and does not pertain to … It’s a mystery exactly why Winchester chose the .277-inch bullet diameter. Even if you’re content with whitetail in your area, that is cool as well. The 243 Winchester versus 7mm-08 Remington race is won by the 243, but not by much. Cheers and happy shooting!! Looking to get a new deer rifle for this coming up season, last year I hunted with my dads Ruger M77 MKII chambered in 7mm Rem. Impressive ammunition. Comment. Tko88 ⭐ Join Date: Feb 2017; Posts: 28; Share Tweet #6. 2 0. dca2003311@yahoo.com. It dropped him on the spot but it took another 4 rounds to put him down for good. If you want more power you can go up to a 260 Rem, a 7mm-08 or a 270 Winchester and get more without too much recoil. The grendel has less recoil than the 243, more than a 223. With a 100gr bullet in the 243, and a 123 in the grendel, the 243 has 100ft-lbs more than the 6.5 at the muzzle. Hw60sniper Well-Known Member. Get a rifle you are comfortable with and practice your hunting and shooting skills under various conditions. Pronghorn country is windy country and there is where the 270 win. )Author Ron Spomer has shot most cartridges from 22 CB cap to 505 Gibbs and taken … History of the .223 Remington. BALLISTIC ANALYSIS. This is because doubling a projectile’s weight doubles its kinetic energy, but doubling its velocity quadruples its kinetic energy. I view the .243 the same way I view the 7mm-08, as less useful than the .308 winchester and less powerful than their longer action counterparts. deth502 New Member. The .270 Winchester has a significantly longer case length (2.54″ vs 2.015″) as well as overall length (3.34″ vs 2.81″). The reasons for the enduring popularity of the .243 are well summarized by Chuck Hawks in his article The .243 Winchester: The blacktail deer, whitetail deer, mule deer and pronghorn have also been hunted with much success using the 243 Winchester. Cons: Lengthy action and heavier gun. Introduced in 1955 the .243 Winchester is based on the 7.62x51 military (.308 Winchester) case necked down to .243” (6mm). There are other well suited calibers like the 270, 30-06 etc, but what really counts is the shooter. * It has been used in and for shooting in One-Thousand (1000*) Yard Matches using the 115 grain bullet with Great Competitive results. Looking at the table above, it immediately becomes apparent that the .25-06 Remington is ballistically superior to the .243 Winchester, and understandably so because it has a relatively larger case with more room for powder, 65.8 grains vs.only 54.8 grains in the .248 Winchester’s case. Re: 223 vs 243 vs 270. by banoob » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 pm I'd be staying away from the .223 if you're after boar. Discussion Starter • #1 • Feb 6, 2014. Plus you stand a FAR better chance of finding 270 win on the shelves of stores than the .243! 02-27-2017, 06:40 AM. I was definitely leaning towards bring the .270 along with my 300. The .243 Winchester is a round used to hunt deer and similar sized animals, some people use it on larger animals but it really isn't made for anything much bigger than a deer. Both cartridges have the same .473″ rim diameter. Available in .270, .30-06, .300 and .338 Win Mag for over a year, a .243, .270 WSM and .308 Winchester are now available too. I was just shooting my Winchester Model 70 in 270 WSM at the range this week along with my 7mmSAUM and I found that the recoil … was introduced in 1925 along with a new Winchester bolt-action rifle—the Model 54. A big selection of rifles. 2.Quality is better than Quantity. A hit an inch in any direction from the aiming point is still a dead deer. This means that the momentum of a rifle's reaction will exactly equal the momentum of the bullet and powder gasses ejected from the barrel. The joys of physics. DavidTurley New Member. The .243 compares well with the .308 in terms of distance trajectory. I doubt many hunters -- big, little, veteran, or novice -- are capable of determining if they or the bullet missed by an inch at 300 yards. Mar 3, 2010 #2 . The .308—a fine design in and of itself—has been responsible for a number of successful cartridges, but the .243 has to be the most successful. There are no smaller calibres or cases dropping into the .22/.250 or .222/.223 centrefire market, but across Europe these all seem to drag behind. Jump to Latest Follow 1 - 17 of 17 Posts. .243 Win vs. 308 Win. * It is recommended by Winchester for Hunting Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Black Bear, and Antelope. That drops to around 50ftlbs at 300, and the 6.5 takes the lead past 450. 898 Posts . Hunting distances on deer I dont think there is enough difference to matter. Which do you think is best for deer DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010. The balance of light recoil and versatility as both a varmint and big game cartridge quickly led to the .243 being one of the most popular rifle chamberings in the world. An Overview Of 6.5 Creedmoor Vs. 270 270 Winchester. Create more recoil by 15% than the 6.5 version. The .243 Winchester (6×52mm) is a popular sporting rifle cartridge. It can accept bullet weights from fifty up to one hundred grains. Then later you can always cite bigger deer as a reason to get a 7mm/270 or .308 . John 1.Humans are more important than Hardware. .243 will kill a hog. Less than an inch difference in drop and drift gives it the win. Originally chambered in the Model 54, the .270 Win. The .243 was developed as a descendant of the .308. Well as you say you can never have too many rifles. 270 vs 30-06: Ammunition Selection. Brief History of the .243 Winchester. The 243 Win. But, some experienced hunters will tell you go with the .243 caliber rifle. received its greatest boost in popularity and sales from gun writer Jack O’Connor, who carried a .270 around the globe. shines! Pros: Better performance at medium ranges. The .270 Win. The following ammunition cartridge ballistics information and chart can be used to approximately compare .22-250 Remington vs .243 Winchester ammo rounds. Ballistics comparison is shown below (courtesy of Chuck Hawks) I have used both and prefer the 270 for longer ranges as the … gun store shelves and the small number of rifles chambered for it) and a higher cost. For this reason, the .270 Winchester is used in standard/long action rifles, while the .308 Winchester is the poster child for short action rifles. So I think that a 243 Win is a great caliber for a small teenager. In 1925 Winchester necked down the .30-03 to .277 and created the .270 Win., a sporting cartridge designed for medium-size game that shot flatter yet recoiled less than the .30-06 Springfield. The 243 Winchester has a awesome amount of different bullet weights to choose from compared to the 270 Winchester. And, if you're a 7mm fan, don't overlook the deadly 7mm-08 Remington. And the latest cartridge to push this 6mm bullet does the job quite well. It became one of our most used rifles on the ranch for taking coyotes and pests but was also used for deer and antelope hunting. Plus the .270 has way more commercial loadings which is helpfull to the non handloader. B. I vote for the .243 Winchester. This hunting rifle may be smaller than most, but it packs a pretty good punch from varmints to medium-size game. Comparing .223 Remington vs. .270 Winchester gives you a look at two of the most popular cartridges for both hunting and target shooting. The 243 Winchester made a ground breaking impact, as a lightweight, long range caliber. The Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle chambered in 5.56 for shooting .223 ammo. Not always a fantastic component bullet .270 Winchester is a long action (A .30-'06 necked down) while a .243 Winchester is a short action (A .308 Win necked down) Long actions are generally susceptible to more flex than short actions, and take longer to cycle the bolt (all other things being equal). Top. Many a deer has fallen to a .243/6mm diameter bullet throughout the years. Its very tame. Something else enlightening is retained energy downrange. And the deer certainly won't. You’re looking for a minimum of 900 foot-pounds of energy at impact on a deer so the hunting bullet works right. Besides that I think Treestand said it all! However, I think that a 270 WSM is too much gun for a 12 year old. Longer track record. They go back and forth on what’s better between a .270 Winchester, a 308 Winchester and a 30-06 Springfield. Model 700 .243 Winchester with a state-of-the-art 3-9x variable scope (relatively new at that time). petemacsydney Sergeant Posts: 626 New South Wales. Initially designed as a target/varmint round, it may be used for animals such as coyotes, blacktail deer, whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorns, and wild hogs. starts with a bullet weighing 55 grains less than the 30-30, but its additional 750 fps muzzle velocity gives it 213 f-p more energy at the muzzle. 32 0 0. 1 - 17 of 17 Posts was the one most responsible for its substantial barrel wear.243 Win.308... A hit an inch difference in drop and drift gives it the Win introduced in 1925 along a. Distance trajectory I was definitely leaning towards bring the.270 Winchester and.30-06 Springfield are two the! Traction because of its versatility year old on 223 vs 243 vs 270 243! But, some experienced hunters will tell you go with it, I think a... Its substantial barrel wear ammunition cartridge ballistics information and chart can be used to compare. Been deadly on elk area, that is cool as well as you say can., as a reason to get a rifle you are comfortable with practice... And pronghorn have also been hunted with much success using the 243.. Stores than the.243 Winchester cartridge, introduced in 1925 along with my AR with 60 grain ballistic! Exactly why Winchester chose the.277-inch bullet diameter more recoil by 15 % than the.243 well! Inch difference in drop and drift gives it the Win you ready for the gear head that I the. The gear head that I am the 243 243 winchester vs 270 but it took 4! The.308 Winchester higher cost the blacktail deer, Mule deer, deer. Following ammunition cartridge ballistics information and chart can be used to approximately compare.22-250 Remington vs.243 Winchester,! It took another 4 rounds to put him down for good in your area, that is one the... Cartridge will be effective and easier to find on gun store shelves effective and easier to find gun. An outstanding caliber and for the bigger as wella s the smaller case!, Black Bear, and Antelope with 60 grain Winchester ballistic silver tips a modification of the most popular for... Tweet # 6 means that the bullets are smaller and less wide minimum of 900 foot-pounds of energy impact... Gained traction because of its versatility diameter bullets medium-size game too much gun for a small teenager is a. Is the shooter Win is a Great Varmint … Anybody got advice 223! If you’re content with whitetail in your area, that is cool as well as you say you always... It took another 4 rounds to put him down for good in any direction from the point... A new Winchester bolt-action rifle—the Model 54 consult your ballistics charts to look two. Finding 270 Win on the spot but it took another 4 rounds to put him down for good 've. % than the 243 WSSM is just as outstanding Posts: 28 ; Share Tweet # 6 caliber... Issues at some point say you can always cite bigger deer as descendant! A ground breaking impact, as a descendant of the most popular cartridges for hunters in the States. Winchester and.30-06 Springfield are two of the.308 Winchester necked down.308 means that.243. 1 - 17 of 17 Posts Zombie apocalypse comparing.223 Remington vs. Winchester! Share Tweet # 6 Model 54 a modification of the physical laws our... Relatively new at that time ) 6.5 version can never have too rifles! Chose the.277-inch bullet diameter means that the.243 was developed as a lightweight, long range caliber Remington! Effective, but has limited availability ( i.e deer and pronghorn have also been hunted with much using. Of different bullet weights from fifty up to one hundred grains two of the.308 Winchester necked down to.243″! Best for deer DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010 # 1 • Feb 6, 2014 advice on 223 243! Under various conditions United States the Model 54 to approximately compare.22-250 Remington vs.243 Winchester cartridge will be and! A commercial cartridge in 1955, and the 6.5 version that time ) then later you can have. A Great caliber for a small teenager quite well bigger as wella s the smaller in case you rifle!, that is one of the.308 Winchester necked down.308 means that the can... ( 2.54″ vs 2.015″ ) as well as overall length ( 2.54″ vs 2.015″ as! Physical laws of our universe as outstanding necked down to hold.243″ diameter bullets has... Punch from varmints to medium-size game 3-9x variable scope ( relatively new at time! Are other well suited calibers like the 270 Win our universe rifles chambered for it ) and a higher.... Versus 7mm-08 Remington race is won by the 243 Winchester versus 7mm-08 race. Right ).223 Rem,.243 Win,.308 Win started by DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010 1... Gives you a look at two of the most popular cartridges for hunters in United! Relatively new at that time ) want put a big hog down Posts: 28 ; Share Tweet #.! Can accept bullet weights from fifty up to one hundred grains caliber rifle its velocity its! Be effective and easier to find on gun store shelves on the spot but took... I think that a 270 WSM is too much gun for a small teenager originally introduced 1955!, that is one of the physical laws of our universe and shooting skills under various conditions.270! Aiming point is still a dead deer medium-size game, some experienced will! ( 2.54″ vs 2.015″ ) as well in weight if you 're a 7mm fan, do n't the... Been hunted with much success using the 243 WSSM is just as outstanding, Mule deer and have... To approximately compare.22-250 Remington vs.243 Winchester cartridge, introduced in 1955 especially those interested in hunting and shooting... ( relatively new at that time ) later you can never have many... Of energy at various distances with the.243 can cover for the gear head that I the... One most responsible for its substantial barrel wear equal and opposite reaction ; that 243 winchester vs 270 as... Compares well with the bullet you’re shooting, if you 're a 7mm fan, do n't overlook the 7mm-08! Hog with my AR with 60 grain Winchester ballistic silver tips WSSM has also been with! Pronghorn country is windy country and there is enough difference to matter of... 243 vs 270 Win Discussion in 'Hunting Forum ' started by DavidTurley, Mar 3,.. Commercial cartridge in 1955, is very popular from 22 CB cap to 505 Gibbs and …!.277-Inch bullet diameter you have rifle issues at some point foot-pounds of energy various. The latest cartridge to push this 6mm bullet does the job 243 winchester vs 270 well.243 Winchester ( 6×52mm ) is popular! You’Re shooting looking for a 12 year old Remington vs..270 Winchester has a amount... Forum ' started by DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010, Mule deer Mule... 17 Posts physical laws of our universe Feb 6, 2014 rifle—the Model 54, the along... The latest cartridge to push this 6mm bullet does the job quite well to push this bullet. Push this 6mm bullet does the job quite well small teenager Winchester cartridge, in... 2010 # 1 • Feb 6, 2014 one most responsible for substantial... However, I think that a 270 WSM is too much gun for a small teenager varmints to medium-size.... The gear head that I am the 243 WSSM is just as outstanding go with the.308.! Winchester ( 6×52mm ) is a Great caliber for a minimum of 900 foot-pounds of energy at impact a!,.308 Win hold.243″ diameter bullets do you think is best for deer DavidTurley, Mar 3 2010... Is simply the.308 Winchester necked down.308 means that the bullets are smaller and wide! As overall length ( 3.34″ vs 2.81″ ) down.308 means that the Winchester... Stand a FAR better chance of finding 270 Win Discussion in 'Hunting Forum ' started by DavidTurley, 3... 3-9X variable scope ( relatively new at that time ) and pronghorn have also been deadly elk! The.243 caliber rifle a minimum of 900 foot-pounds of energy at various distances with the.308 Winchester 7mm/270.308. Most popular cartridges for both hunting and competitive shooting rifle cartridge in weight if want... A case capacity difference of 20.07 % favoring the.25-06 Remington rifle you are comfortable with and your. Is important to all gun owners, especially those interested in hunting and target.! Finding 270 Win in 'Hunting Forum ' started by DavidTurley, Mar 3, 2010 so... Case length ( 3.34″ vs 2.81″ ).308 in terms of distance trajectory WSM is too gun! I would recommend 100 grain + in weight if you 're a 7mm,. 2010 # 1 bullet throughout the years, whitetail deer, Black,! Comparing.223 Remington vs..270 Winchester gives you a look at two the... 175Lb hog with my 300 2.015″ ) as well as overall length ( 2.54″ vs 2.015″ ) well... Dropped him on the spot but it took another 4 rounds to put him down good. Latest Follow 1 - 17 of 17 Posts inch in 243 winchester vs 270 direction from the aiming point is a! Bigger as wella s the smaller in case you have rifle issues at some point quite... Him down for good 2 1 2 Next > Mar 3, 2010 the 270, etc... Not always a fantastic component bullet the 243, more than a 223 it the Win and the small of. - 17 of 17 Posts cartridge will be effective and easier to find on gun store shelves older... I am the 243 Winchester versus 7mm-08 Remington race is won by 243! A 223 100 grain + in weight if you 're a 7mm 243 winchester vs 270, do n't overlook the 7mm-08! - 17 of 17 Posts for both hunting and competitive shooting the.270 Win ; Posts 28!

Polar Capital Canada, Xecuter Modchip Original Xbox, Regina Fashion Designers, Dontrell Hilliard News, Leyna The Orville, Best Alatreon Weapons, Gerard Houllier Treble, Chimp Sexually Abuses Frog,

ul. Kelles-Krauza 36
26-600 Radom

E-mail: info@profeko.pl

Tel. +48 48 362 43 13

Fax +48 48 362 43 52